COVID-19 - We are open for business and here to help ->
Call Stirling 01786 235 235
Call Tillicoultry 01259 753 330
4 minutes reading time (781 words)

Legal advice when setting up care for a loved one

As we get older, we are more likely to require assistance with our day to day life. If your loved one needs help with their care and well-being, obtaining legal advice can ensure you know what options are available. There are various legal documents that are designed to meet a person's wishes for later life, particularly a willliving will, and Power of Attorney. In this article, we look at some of the steps that can be taken when making care plans for a loved one.

For more information on how our wills and executry solicitors can assist you, get in touch by calling 01786 235 235 or request a callback by completing the online enquiry form here.

Planning for a loved one's future

Setting up care for a loved one involves organising their affairs and planning for their care needs in the future. One of the most important considerations is how you will meet any potential care costs. As care is means tested, any investments, assets (such as property) and other finances will be taken into account during the assessment process. You can find out more information on nursing home fees and care costs here.

Setting up a Power of Attorney

A Power of Attorney is a legal document created to help you and a loved one plan for their future. The document gives another person – referred to as the attorney – formal permission to handle financial and personal aspects of a loved one's affairs.

There are two types of Power of Attorney available in Scotland, however most people choose to have a combined Continuing and Welfare Power of Attorney.

Continuing Power of Attorney

This type of Power of Attorney allows the trusted person to make decisions about the loved one's property and finances, and can be activated immediately after it has been registered. The granter (the person creating the Power of Attorney) can decide whether they want these powers to only be used if they become incapable of making their own decisions, and this must be clearly stated in the legal document. 

Welfare Power of Attorney

A Welfare Power of Attorney gives a person the authority to make health and welfare decisions on the granter's behalf. Unlike a Continuing Power of Attorney, the Welfare Power of Attorney cannot be used until the loved one is unable to make their own decisions.

What happens if there is no Power of Attorney in place?

Without a Power of Attorney, nobody has the automatic right to handle personal or financial affairs of a loved one, not even a family member. Instead, they may be forced to go to court to obtain a Guardianship or Intervention Order.

Guardianship Orders

A Guardianship Order enables someone to act on behalf of a loved one who may be incapacitated. These decisions can be in relation to things like payments and bills, bank accounts and welfare. If a Power of Attorney is not in place, having a guardianship can help you to act on behalf of a loved one, especially in cases where decisions need to be made over a long period of time.  

Getting legal advice

You should obtain legal advice from a solicitor before applying for a Guardianship Order to ensure that it is the correct decision for you and your loved one. A solicitor can help you compile the application, which must be supported by two medical reports and one further report depending on the type of powers being sought through the guardianship (such as financial, welfare powers, or both).

How does guardianship work?

You can be a welfare guardian, financial guardian, or both, with a guardianship lasting for three years or longer if required. Any person can apply to be a welfare or financial guardian. A solicitor or accountant can also be a financial guardian. If no one is available to apply for financial guardianship, the local council has a duty to apply to protect an adult and their property. When a guardian is appointed, their actions are supervised by the local authority and by the Office of the Public Guardian.

Contact our Wills & Executry Solicitors Stirling & Tillicoultry, Scotland

At watersrule solicitors, we can help you plan for future legal and family issues that may occur in later life if a loved one needs care. We can help you take steps to arrange Power of Attorney, guardianship or to draft a will to ensure that your family member gets the support they need and as much control as possible over their life decisions. Contact us today at our Stirling office on 01786 235 235 or at our Tillicoultry office on 01259 753 330 to speak to our team.

What to do after a death in Scotland? Help and adv
Choosing an executor – how do you decide?
Please note that watersrule solicitors ARE NOT registered to provide Legal Aid or other types of Legal Financial Assistance.

Get in touch

We always aim to reply within 24 hours

Please let us know your name.
Please let us know your email address.
Please let us know your phone number.
Please let us know your email subject.
Please let us know your message.

“They were very thorough in their preparation, very realistic in their goals, worked to resolve issues and kept me very well informed.”

Michael, Tillicoultry